Moline-Coal Valley School District No. 40

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Support News Facebook Twitter Athletic Schedule
District » New Physical Education Facility

New Physical Education Facility

The Moline-Coal Valley Board of Education has approved a plan for a new multi-purpose physical education facility at Moline High School.  The $14 million physical education facility will feature a six-lane track, four multi-use courts, improved locker rooms and a new weight room. Funding for the new weight room equipment is included in the project cost.

 

The facility design will be an open concept and multi-use, allowing for improved physical education opportunities for PE students. It will also include recreational space for a variety of health and wellness activities.   

 

With student safety as a top priority, the new facility will create a safer physical education space for Moline High School students.  The need for additional physical education space at the high school is great.  The three gymnasiums are in constant use. Often PE classes and sports practices are held outside or indoors in hallways, or where space allows.   Moline’s weight room and locker rooms are in need of updating, and limited space has caused overcrowding.

 

The District has selected Shive-Hattery as the architect and Russell as construction manager for the project. A timeline is being established and a rendering of the facility will be created during the design phase. The target date for having students using the completed facility is December 2020.

 

The new multi-purpose physical education facility will be funded through bond repayment over eight years. With bond funding, Moline residents will not see tax increases related to the new facility.

 

A committee is also being established to seek a cooperative partnership to build a new swimming pool.  The committee will include representatives from the Board of Education and the Moline community, and will discuss ideas and funding options for a new swimming pool. The current pool was built in the 1950’s.