Moline School District No. 40 has a rich tradition with Wharton Field House. Home of the Moline Maroons, the 6,000 seat indoor arena was built in 1928 by the high school’s athletic boosters club. Used for Moline High School’s athletic activities, the arena also was the home of the NBA's Tri-Cities Blackhawks from 1946 until they left for Milwaukee in 1951, and the CBA's Quad City Thunder until 1993.
Graduation ceremonies annually continue to be held at Wharton Field House
In 2004 , USA Today named Wharton Field House one of the top places in the country to watch high school basketball
In 2007, the track was replaced with a new surface